Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blog Post Prompt 3

We arrived at Harlaxton yesterday afternoon. It is beautiful; even more beautiful than I remember. We explored yesterday and did a tour of the manor. We also walked the grounds and walked down the long drive to the canal. It is about a four mile walk there and back but it was worth it. We plan to run/walk it every morning before class.


I am truly enjoying this trip so far. I know that we have only really been here for two days, but it feels as if we have been here much longer. We all seem to have established a bond instaneously, and we all have fun just being around each other and sharing this experience. Too be honest, I was a little aprehensive about this trip only consisting of girls. Due to the fact that in general girls tend to have a lot of drama surrounding them and I was worried about said drama creating a stressful environment. However, these specific girls are virtually drama free. I was surprised how quickly we all became friends. With my last trip it took a little bit of time for us all to warm up to eachother, so I am extremely excited that we all warmed up to eachother immediately. We went out to the Pubs last night and then we got back we stayed up late just talking and hanging out. Unfortunately, the night life in Grantham was is no longer as popular as it once was, and my favorite pub the Blue Pig was almost completely dead. In terms of how members of my group and I react to new situations I can think of one truly great example. Yesterday in the taxi on the way to the Blue Pig, we carried on a hilarious conversation with the taxi driver, joking back and forth. He had a bit of a different sense of humor, but we carried on with it all the same. We all seemed to be outgoing and have a good time on the drive over. In addition, the taxi driver told us about the important sites in Grantham, and then proceded to take us on a little tour of the town, for no additional cost. He showed us the "Angel" which is one of the oldest pubs in England (it has been there since the early fourteen hundreds). Even though I have been here before, and spent a great deal of time in Grantham, I had no idea about this pub or about its history. We only learned about its existance through the relationship that we established with the taxi driver.

The people at Harlaxton and in the town are amazing. Many of them are so sweet and polite and have a marvelous sense of humor. However, I have noticed that they all speak rather softly as compared to our group. We tend to be heard over other people as we walk through the grocery store, or chat in the pub.


I am really enjoying interacting with the members of my group and being at Harlaxton in general; I know that this is going to be a great experience. However, with every positive is a negative, and the only somewhat negative thing I am feeling while at Harlaxton is that I really miss my daughter. She is my entire life at home, so it is a little wierd for me to have this completely different lifestyle here. Today while at the Grocery store in Grantham I saw Scooby Doo Biscuits and Jam and I immediately thought of her. I bought them to take home to her. I think that a lot of members in the group are extremely excited to be here, and are completely in awe of Harlaxton. Many of the members of the group are pretty laid back, and seem to deal with their emotions well. I think that we are all pretty compatible and off to a great start.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katie--
    I'm so jealous that you're at Harlaxton right now! I have so many fond memories of our 2007 trip there. I know that you're going to have a wonderful adventure this time, too. Say hi to Professor Ruth for me.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how nice the drama-free environment is. It makes such a difference when people are able to deal with their emotions in an adult way. Your trip into town last night sounds like it was really fun, and your cab driver sounds like the proverbial Hoot. I think you're also right about the American Volume issue. It will be interesting to reflect on that when we are travelling on the train and in the Youth Hostel in Haworth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is always interesting how being friendly to someone carries a long way. That is an interesting sotry about the pub and you should visit it. It is great that you and your group are such close already because that will make the trip even that much more enjoyable:) Have fun and keep updating... I will keep stalking....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie, enjoyed reading your first blog. You are unique among this group of students in having been there before. This colors your perspective and forces you to constantly compare to 2007. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes it might get in the way of experiencing the new things that will be before you this time. My advice would be to try to save the comparisons as much as possible until you get back and try to experience this trip as if it's your first time, as challenging as that may be. Above all, have fun!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie,

    Harlaxton sounds great! We wish we could be there too! England is such a cool place, full of history and beauty. Sophie is doing well! Have fun and be safe! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you are having a good time! Jim was looking for a date to Transformers this Friday (I am going out with some old college roommates, one of which is moving to Colorado) and was saddened when I told him you were not an option...Can't wait to see you when you get back! Keep having fun!
    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete